10 Tips To Help Kids 4 Fun Crafts For Kids 4 Great Ideas For Helping 5 Ways To Help Kids A Driveway Alarm A Piano Dealer Can Help Kids African Children Charity Donations Amber Alert Saves Childrens Lives Avoid Weight Loss Side Effects Bean Bag Chairs Help Kids Buy Wholesale Children Clothing Can Life Coaches Help Kids Children Should Learn Do Puzzles Dressing Up Can Help Kids Everyones Responsibility You Can Save Children From Piggy Bank Get The Most From Childrens Education Goedkope Kinderkleding Help Kids Concentrate Help Kids Develop Help Kids Excel At School Help Kids Grow Tall Effectively Help Kids Grow Tall Naturally Help Kids Learn Spanish Help Kids and Own Business Help Your Children Helping Kids Care for the Ideas Helping Kids Form Balanced Opinions Helping Kids Lose Weight Helping Kids Who Dont Like Read How To Create Teddy Bear How To Draw How To Encourage Your Kids Save Money How Youth Sports Help Kids How Save a Child From Poverty How to Help Kids Grow Tall Its Time To Change Karate Schools In Royalton Kids Puzzle Games Kids Typing Games Model Good Money Saving Make Fun Cash Saving Children Save Children - Non-Profit Save Children From Hurting Themselves Save Children From Drugs Save Children From Ear Infections Save Children Saving for Your Childrens Future Six Useful Ways To Help Kids Soccer Helps Kids Do Better TV Viewing for Children Teach Your Children The Five People You Meet Tips To Save Children Tips to Help Kids Toddler Bed Rails Plans Travel Pillows Help Kids to Sleed What Are You Doing to Save Children When parents take Children to Visit Publishing
3 Fresh Water Fish That Are Great A Clean Water Filter All Diets Types Are Salt Water Aquariums Best Fad Diets Clean Water Around The World Clean Water Filter Clean Water in Alaska 2008 Cleaning Water Damage Caused By Floods Cleaning Your Fresh Water Aquarium Cleaning Your Fresh Water Aquariums Consuming Fresh Water from Office Water Diets Dont Work 12 Facts Dont Be Confused Dont Go In The Water Drinking Clean Water How to Purify Drinking Enough Clean Water Produces Natural Enjoying Nature and Family Time in Fresh Fresh Water Aquariums Should Fresh Water Fishing Night Fresh Water in Household Dont Be Deceived Get endless supply of pure clean Group Health Insurance Quote Tips Health Your Most Valuable Asset Health Care Reform Why Are People Health Insurance Fraud Health and Medical Insurance Comparing High School Wrestling Diet How to Become a Home How to Clean Water How to Select Genuine Natural Fresh Incredible Fresh Water Filters Health Is the New High Lets Talk About Fad Diets Low Carbohydrate Diet Revolution A History Low Carb Diet Should I or Shouldnt Maintaining a Clean Water Mental Health Maintenance Is Made New reservoir to keep city Reliable Water Cooler Suppliers Have Ample Sea Water Treatment transformation Summer Time Fresh Water Top 40 Health Quotations Understanding HMO PPO and FFS Health Water Well Drilling Romeo Service Water cooler A source Water of California Is All the Fresh Weight Loss Diet Reviews When Your Health Insurance Plan Wont water Safety Red Light
Helping Kids Care for the Earth Ideas for Earth Day and Beyond - Family - ParentingHelping Kids Care for the Earth: Ideas for Earth Day and Beyond by Jamie Jefferson
in Family / Parenting (submitted 2009-04-15)
Earth Day is April 22, and while it's important to get involved on this day, there are things we can do as families that will make a huge impact throughout the year.
It starts with helping our kids to celebrate the world in which we live, and it continues with helping them to love it so much that they want to do everything they can to help protect it. Here are six ideas to help your kids celebrate and care for our earth:
1. Get out and enjoy it. Researchers are now saying that simply getting kids outside in nature may be the most effective way to raise their awareness of environmental issues. Suddenly, these problems that they hear about on the news and in the classroom have a real impact on their daily lives. They see firsthand how a forest or a beach or a tidepool or a meadow is teeming with life, with ecological relationships that are interdependent, delicate and complex.
To encourage your kids to get out there and enjoy the natural world, you may have to purposefully inject some extra excitement in the idea, but just at first. Take your dog (or a friend's dog) for a walk in the woods. A dog's love for nature, and subsequent enjoyment of it, is infectious. Create a list of things to find and make your adventure into the outdoors into a scavenger hunt.
If possible, and if your kids are old enough to be by themselves out there, find a safe place for them to play in a natural environment. Allow them to go there to get away, to sit and think or to talk with their friends. Make a point to get the kids out in nature every day. Better yet, go with them.
2. Watch "An Inconvenient Truth" as a family for inspiration. Invite some of your children's friends over to watch it with their parents and talk about some initiatives that you can each commit to or some larger projects that you can work on as a neighborhood or community.
3. Help your kids learn about endangered animals. Together, look into organizations that help endangered animals and see how you can get involved.
4. Reduce and re-use, then recycle. Lots of kids get excited about recycling. Fewer are into reducing or re-using. Model to your children a healthy pattern of consumption. Talk frequently about the many benefits (which go way beyond environmental) of living a simple life and of being wary of a lifestyle of mass consumerism. As kids spend more time outside and less time at the mall or watching television advertisements, this shift may feel increasingly more natural to them.
5. Teach your kids about potentially harmful chemicals and how they can be everywhere in our world: in the foods we eat, in the supplies we use to clean the house, in our paint, in our cosmetics, in our lawn care products. Turn the search for these things into a game and allow your kids to be detectives, learning about and seeking out these harmful chemicals and then finding natural alternatives.
6. The next time you take the kids to the grocery store, see how you can minimize the amount of packaging that you purchase. We have been known to purposefully not purchase an item because of the manufacturer's use of wasteful packaging. It won't take long for the kids to realize that the best item in the store for minimal packaging: raw fruits and vegetables.
In our family, the more we can make these life changes into a game, the more apt the kids are to follow suit. Help your kids to understand how one person really can make a difference (especially when that person is part of a committed family or group) and review often the personal impact that you all have made.
Atlanta Dream Center Metro Kidz 2011